Monday, September 27, 2010

Life of a Maid

Judging from the frequency with which I hear it talked about, this is the most troubling issue that India's facing today: maids' absenteeism.

I agree that it's a major problem. No vacation. No holidays. Working Saturdays and Sundays. No sick leave. Major problem.

So when I hear complaints, I think: "Do you work, or have you ever worked at a day job? What about your partner then? Would you have worked there if they gave you no time off at all?

If I can hire a maid, I'm among the lucky ones. I'm lucky I can get help, I'm lucky I can provide a job. I'm lucky to be the employer at this job, not the employee.

Give maids some pre-planned time off too. Have them tell you in advance about time off, and call you if they're sick. Get a substitute, or let the work pile up for a day or two, or maybe even (omg!) do it yourself. "

No comments: